The Aviation Nation Air Show was this past weekend and I really don't think there is anything our family loves to do better than go to an air show. I even suck it up, staying outside all day to enjoy the performances, talk to members of the military, and see some really cool planes. (We have established that I'm not an outdoor girl, right???) This year we really had a blast because the air show was held on Nellis AFB. This allowed us a few privileges such as being able to park on base (Doug was saluted by the base guard. Does that ever get old?), getting to go through the Military ID entrance line (which did move faster), and actually knowing what the military personal were talking about when they explained procedures (I actually followed some of the alphabet soup). If you ever need a shot of patriotism, attend an airshow.
Heritage Pass
Our favorites the Air Force Thunderbirds
The highlight of the day for me was being able to meet and having the boys picture taken with one of the Tuskegee Airman.
I know that Veterans Day is tomorrow and believe me there will be a post, but this weekend was a great experience for our family. It gave us a physical reminder of all that has been sacrificed for not only our freedoms but the freedoms of those in other countries. For decades, men and women have answered the call of our country to serve. Putting their lives on the line not only for their loved ones but for those they will never meet. For those who believe in their mission and those who criticize. For those that respect their rights and those that take them for granted. And the craziest thing about these men and women is when you say thank you they reply that they were just doing their job.
Even though they say it was "just doing their job" a thank you is the least that I can say. Thank you to all who have made my life possible. Thank you to the countless wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, and children that have waited at home while their loved ones have been in harms way. Thank you to all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

My servicemember
My servicemember
1 comment:
I'm so glad you posted about Veteran's Day! I asked my kiddos when they came home from school on Tuesday what they learned about Veteran's Day, and it wasn't even mentioned in their school. They had no idea what I was talking about. I was SO upset, no angry is more like it! They learn about African holidays, Jewish holidays, Halloween, etc...but not one word was mentioned about a day where we celebrate the service given to and for our country by men and women, blacks and whites, young and old. It's a holiday that we should all remember and celebrate because it's a holiday that no matter our race or sex or religion...it effects us all!
There. I'm done now. :)Hooray to the Holmes family for honoring Veteran's Day!!!
Post a Comment