Sunday, March 08, 2009

Where Will We Be?????

One of the more adventurous aspects of being a military family is the surprise of where you will be living and how long you will be there. There are very few guarantees. When Doug accepted the invitation to be in the general dentistry residency program we knew that it was going to be for a year but we didn't know where that might be.
Now that we are a little over half way through the program, the wondering of our next location begins. We have been assured that it will not be in Nevada. The Air Force likes to make you believe that you have a say on where you go. They give you lists of openings. Then they ask you to rank said opening. Supposedly these are taken into consideration when assignments are made. I may sound a little doubting, but I figure if they need you in the middle-of-know-where it isn't going to matter too much if you ranked that base last on your list. But to keep up the illusion, there is a many stepped process. A couple of lists to rank, calls to be made, and then the orders are given. (I just can't think that I have much say in something that ends with "orders".)
Why the education of Air Force orders? Well, we have received the first list of openings to rank. The bases with openings are literally world wide. Everything from Japan to Georgia, from England to Alaska. The Midwest is well represented with a couple in southwest openings(although nothing in Arizona) and even some openings on both coasts.
So it begins again. I really am trying hard not to have a favorite destination or one that I couldn't tolerate. I'm hoping that this way I will be excited about anywhere we are sent. What I do know is that where ever we go, it will be new to us. New things to see and experience, new people to meet, and new challenges to face.

1 comment:

Shawneen said...

Wow! That would drive me crazy, not knowing were I might be living. But what an adventure, your boys are going to have so much to talk about and so many cool memories.

Lost Generation