Friday, March 27, 2009

It Stinks Getting Older

In our house this thought is usually expressed by me. Like when I realize laying on the floor isn't as comfortable as it use to be (really was it ever???). Or when I notice that those fine lines are turning into wrinkles and the brown hair is turning gray. And when did falling down become such a traumatic event? I use to do it all the time. (Yes, I am a little clumsy) I could go on and on, but I will save you from that. Needless to say, getting older stinks. And it really stinks when my husband starts admitting it too.

Doug, although eight years older than I, never acts old. He works harder and does more than guys half his age. What man do you know who works over 70 hours a week and still has time for Cub Scouts, family outings, and his motorcylces (his real love)? He does home improvements in a big way. Frames new walls, does dry wall, lays tile, plumbing, minor electrical, cabinets, brick laying, landscaping, and painting are things that he has done in his "free" time. He does most of the maintenance on our vehicles which include three motorcylces. One of which is a project bike that he is building just to stay busy. Thinking about it makes me tired. And yet the biggest admission to old age has been a sore muscle or two. It's not fair. Sure he has a few gray hairs but I still feel like I'm the older one. I keep telling him "It's not the years, it's the miles."
But that all changed a couple of weeks ago. He had to admit to old age. Well, maybe just a little.

Doug loves his motorcylces. It's his hobby, his stress relief, and his transportation. I realized while dating him that motorcylces were part of the package and if I was going to love him, I was going to accept the bikes. He rides sport bikes. Crouched over a motor going from 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds is what makes him smile. But riding back and forth to work in that position was starting wear on him. So what does a man do when faced with this dilemma? He raises the handle bars. One Saturday and look what the man can accomplish.
Before
After

1 comment:

All of Us said...

Yer gettin' old....hehehe!!!

Lost Generation