Sunday, March 01, 2009

Blue and Gold Banquet


Our packs Blue and Gold Banquet was this last week and all I can say is that I'm glad it is over. For those of you who have yet to enter the scouting world or wisely stay away, the Blue and Gold Banquet is a anniversary dinner for scouting. I always knew what went into such event and was grateful to all those that made them possible. This year I was given the opportunity to be one of the "those" that make such an event a success.
It really started on Wednesday when the sloppy-joe mix was not to be found in bulk. Never fear, we had the ground meat and buns so hamburgers were an easy fix. Did I say easy??? Sure when you're grilling up a few for friends, no problem. When you're making 200 servings, not so much. After five hours of shaping, seasoning, and grilling....the burgers were done. Thursday was decorating. Balloons, lights, table clothes, and lots of American decor went up. I am happy to report that very little was done by me. Run back home to warm up hamburgers, change clothes, and get everything down to the church building. After all the work, it was great to see the wonderful turnout we had and everyone seemed to have a nice time.
This month Matt received his Bear award. It was so my fault that it took so long. When I finally sat down to look at what needed to be accomplished, not only had he done enough requirements for Bear but also for a Gold Arrow Point. ( I know that I may be speaking Greek to some of you, but trust me, it's a good thing.)
Nate also received a bead on his Immediate Progress Award for completing three requirements to Wolf. He is on the move!!!
This years theme for the Blue and Gold Banquet was ABC's of the United States. All month the boys did activities that taught them more about the states, flag etiquette, and our country. We were very privileged to have part of the Shadow Mountain High School ROTC Drill Team perform our flag ceremony and some of their drills for us. The young men will be going to competition so they performed in their Boy Scout uniforms since their ROTC uniforms needed to be sent in for inspection before competition. I have never heard the cub scouts so quiet as I did when they watched the performance.

No comments:

Lost Generation