
For those not in the "know" about scouting this is the 100 year anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. So this years Blue and Gold Banquet revolved around the history of scouting. As the our family sat listening to the speaker, I couldn't help but think of the family history that we have in the scouting program.
So I asked the men in my family for their personal history in scouting so my boys would know their heritage and this is what I learned. My great-grandfather, Lloyd Edward Smith received his Eagle Scout award in 1925. My grandfather, Lloyd David Smith received in Eagle Award in 1946. My father, Douglas Lloyd Smith received his Eagle Scout award in 1968. And from what I remember, my brother, Douglas Craig Smith received his Eagle Scout award in 2000. Now I know that both my great-grandfather and my grandfather have received other awards but I'm not sure as to what or when those were awarded.
I am now looking at this post as a work in progress. Eventually, I would like to have a personal experience or two from each of them, a picture of them during their Boy Scout years, and a list of any special awards that they received. Until then at least I have a few dates. And I know that this has inspired my boys to each become Eagle Scouts. So I want to say a big THANK YOU to each of these men who have made my job easier as a mother when it comes to scouting. When you have a heritage such as this it makes you want to measure up.
No comments:
Post a Comment