After living three months without our stuff, I said that as soon as we were unpacked that we would have a party and so we did. As both Doug and I were busy being good hosts there are no pictures. We wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped us, opened their houses up, and welcomed us while we transitioned. We invited people from the ward, from our village, our landlord, and the missionaries to help with translation.
I spent the day cooking and getting ready. We had hotdogs, burgers, and brats. Stuffed mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, chips with dips, baked beans, funeral potatoes, creamed corn, and desserts. I tried to make sure that we had at least a few items that our German neighbors would be familiar with but found it interesting that their favorites were the burgers and hotdogs. I only made a few cultural fopas 1. when I served cold mineral water, 2. not providing cups until asked, and 3. serving creamed corn (according to my dad corn is a food that is served to pigs in Germany). Not too bad for my first time.
The missionaries brought a family that had a sons the boys age. We able to say thank you to everyone with the missionaries translating for our neighbors. The boys played basketball and showed the German boys how to throw an American football. We sat and ate, laughed and enjoyed each others company. Elder Holmes (no relation) even gave the blessing on the food in german so our guests would be able to understand. It was a great night that we hope to repeat soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment