Friday, March 08, 2013

Good On Nate

Nate has two personalities, his home persona and his school persona.  At school he is quiet and studious.  At home he likes to push buttons and be in the middle of things.  I have gotten the opportunity the last little while to get a peek of his school persona.

I received a call from the principal at Luna Middle School asking me if I was the mother of Nate Holmes.  After I had a little heart attack, she told me that she wanted to let me know personally what a unique son I had.  It seems Nate had found $20.00 and turned it in so someone could claim it.  After the required waiting period, Nate was called back in and told that the money was his since no one had claimed it.  The principal explained to Nate that he had three choices:  he could keep all the money for himself, he could donate part of the money to the Military Brats Club that were doing a fundraiser to send care packages to deployed military members, or he could donate all the money.  Without a second thought he donated all $20.00 to the Military Brats Club.  He explained to the principal that his dad had been deployed and he wanted to make the experience easier for his classmates than it was for him.  The principal was so impressed that she nominated him for a Citizenship Award in the Northside Independent School District.  

While I was at the school this last week I got to interact with a couple of the teachers that Nate has daily contact with.  Not once but twice I was told what a wonderful son I had.  How he was a well mannered, intelligent young man.

So proud to be his mommy.  

No comments:

Lost Generation